[AMPS] Cool Monster Tube

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Cool Monster Tube
From: jono@webspun.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 98 23:04:40 -0500
Thought you all would like this.

Today I was up at Radio Recyclers in Milwaukee, WI.  He's got a nice
selection of tubes up there, but 2 of them REALLY caught my eye.  He's
got 2 25 KW monster glass tubes for sale!  Unfortunately, I didn't write
down the number on the tube, but these things are enormous.

They stand about 2 feet tall and weigh at least 15 to 20 pounds.  And
yes, Rich, they have handles!  The base is a rather large finned heat
sink.  These had to have been from an AM broadcast or Shortwave station
rather low in frequency.  The structure inside the glass looks like
pretty long leads, so I doubt they were for very high frequency use
(imagine the parasitic suppressor for those guys!).

Anyhow, one of the tubes unfortunately is broken, but the other is in
good shape.  I think he's selling the broken one for $25 and the good one
for $50.

I would certainly make a nice display in the shack.  Maybe make it into a
light fixture or something.

Radio Recyclers will ship if you call them up.

Just thought you guys would get a kick out of these.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden