[AMPS] MLA-2500 Help

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] MLA-2500 Help
From: wb5apd@stc.net (Bob Dodson WB5APD EM84ak)
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 03:41:27 -0400
Hi Gang;

        Here is the story. Turned on my MLA-2500 and plate V. was 1600 volts.
Found (3) shorted diodes in HV string. Replaced ALL diodes w/new ones.
Turned it back on. Still 1600 Volts. Checked caps withe VOM and (1)
looks open. New diodes held and still ck OK. Questions;

1. Will one open cap in HV string drop HV from normal 2600 to 1600.

2. Does anyone have an original twist lock cap for this amp 150mf at
450vdc they waqnt to sell.

3. If I can not repair filter bank as original any problem using (6)
470mf at 450 vdc instead of 150mf at 450vdc. (going from 25mf to 78mf).
I always thought more was better. Thinking abt using 470mf at 450vdc
Nichicon 1.375" X 2.0" with 2 hole cap clamps. Not sure if holes will
line up with original, but looks like maybe.

        Any thoughts on all of this is appreciated. BTW the HV xfmr looks OK
best I can tell. Running it on 220vac and I ohmed it out. Amp tbl showed
up at pwr up no load.

Thanks in advance. Before I start spending money on new filter bank
would appreciate your input.

Bob
--

73's