[AMPS] MLA-2500

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] MLA-2500
From: wb5apd@stc.net (Bob Dodson WB5APD EM84ak)
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 17:32:32 -0400
Pinky & The Brain wrote:

> Greetings to the group,
>                 In a recent post to the reflector Dave Kirby wrote:
>
> >Adding more capacitance can be a bad thing. The extra stored energy can
> >destroy tubes in an arc. However, I dont want to get into a discussion
> >on arcs !!!!!
>
> Steve also added
> >Adding more capacitance can also fry transformers with the (Ipeak)^2
>
> >Steve
>
>                                                                         TNX
>                                                                         Steve
>
> --
Steve;

        My MLA-2500 reads about 1 1/2 marks past 2250vdc. Abt 2500vdc running
it on 220 vac. I also have a question. Did the Mallory caps you get
measure 1.375" X 4.125" and did you use the 2 hole cap mounting clamps
and if so did the original holes line up ok in the chasis.
        Trying to figure out how you mounted the caps and if the clamps they
sell for this purpose will line up with the original holes. BTW Mallory
also sells 140MF 450vdc 1.375" X 3.125" computer caps. I am looking at a
Mouser catalog page 214 abt the caps and mounting hardware.
        The responces I got abt going to 470mf caps all said don't do it. That
would have been a 78mf bank. Going to 210mf instead of 150mf may be ok.
Suggest you get more input from folks on reflector. My best guess you
will be ok with 35mf from original 25mf.

Best of luck with it
Bob

--

73's