[AMPS] Recommended Circuit For AM Modulated 500w+ Amp?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Recommended Circuit For AM Modulated 500w+ Amp?
From: davidc@bit-net.com (DavidC)
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 21:02:57 -0500
If you were going to build a modulated AM amp to run at least 500 watts,
what circuit would you use?  And why?

The exciter will be a Multi-Elmac AF-68  80-6m AM/CW mobile tube
transmitter.  (Yes, I am interested in any mods that will improve the audio
performance of the AF-68.  I understand that the AF-68  needs an amplified
mic to get good modulation barefoot.)

The AF-68 conveniently provides about 30-35w AF output through a 500 ohm
transformer, plus 30-35w RF drive.

I don't know if it makes more sense to build a 160-10m amp, a separate 6m
amp, and a transverter for 160m, or to build a 80-6m amp and use an
entirely different rig on 160m AM.  160m is a very interesting band!

I'd like to start gathering the parts but need a circuit first!  (I am
assuming I will need two stages of AF and RF amplification with drive this
low.)  Oh, did I mention that it has to be cheap?  I'd like to try to use
mostly used, surplus, and scrounged stuff that I can search for.  Love that
sort of challenge!

This project is planned for the Winter and Spring '99, perhaps stretching
into Summer depending on other distractions.  It is my motivation for
finishing my last school work ever (doc. thesis) by year's end!

Thanks in advance and 73, DavidC  AA1FA