[AMPS] Pole Xformer Quiz

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Pole Xformer Quiz
From: wc7m@vcn.com (W7CW Jay E Ostrem)
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 1998 20:28:21 +0000
I've got a pole transformer I'm using for B+.  Unknown manufacturer, but it
is marked 10KW.
It has two high voltage insulators on one side, and on the the other it has
three insulated low voltage terminals. A ground stud is welded to the case
below these.

I put 240 Vac on the two outer low voltage terminals, and ended up with
3200 Vdc after the fullwave rectifier and filter.  This equates to around
2300 Vac at the transformer.

The info plate on the case reads as follows;

10                   ser. #
2400/4160Y           120/240
A2412A10AA1          1.5

When I picked this unit up, I made the assumption that I would get 4160 Vac
when applying 240 Vac.  I am a little leary of putting 240 Vac on the
center and left or right low voltage terminal, as this doesn't fit in with
what I know about transformers.

Is there a way to get the 4160 Vac?  If not I will have to use a voltage
doubler to get my needed 6 Kv DC.
                              73 Jay W7CW

                                 1AB Ranch
                                 Gillette, Wyoming