[AMPS] SB-220 B+ Resistor

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB-220 B+ Resistor
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 11:02:46 -0800

>I've read a lot on this subject but I'm still at odds as to what to use in
>the SB-220 What's the best replacement for RFC2?  Should it be 10 ohms 10W,
>2 10 ohms 10W in series or a 20 ohms 20 watts.

?  The critical thing with a glitch resistor is that it does not break
down internally during a glitch.  Well made 10-ohm, 10w ww
glass-coated/vitreous-enamel resistors can dissipate the peak energy from
a  glitch up to about 3kV uning typical ham-amp. C filters.  . The
critical thing is peak v-gradient, which is mostly determined by the
length of the nichrome winding.   Above c. 3kV, two such resistors in
series is advisable.

>All I can get in this neck of the woods is a Brown Devil 20 ohms 25W.
>Rather big. Is this acceptable?

?  Yes, however, the length of the winding on a Brown Devil 25W unit is
about the same as a10w unit.  // We currently use a Huntington Electric,
Inc. 10 ohm 12w unit in our suppressor retrofit kits.  A special Cesiwid
glitch R would be even better, however the price is about 10 db higher.

-  cheers, Walter.

Rich...