[AMPS] Cantenna Dummy loads

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Cantenna Dummy loads
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 08:50:04 -0800

>  The Cantenna dummy loads just can't take 1.5 Kw for
>very long.

Indeed.  The resistor used typ. looks like an approx. 100w unit.
Apparently the name "dummy load" refers to those who expect to be able to
put 1.5kW of NØN (AØ, keydown) through it

> I was wondering if anyone has tried to
>cool one of these. Either by running water thru the
>can in a coil of copper tubing or maybe even having
>the water replace the oil and run it thru the can.

Direct contact of the surface of the resistor with water (only during
testing)  might work, Bill.  Water is the undoubtedly one of the best
liquid coolants.  //  I bought a Bird Model 8730 10kW continuous rated
50-ohm termination (s/n 0295) that hooks up to a garden hose.  The 8730
is surprizingly compact compared to conventional 10kW terminations.  Fast
moving water passes over the surface of the 50-ohm resistor.  The
dielectric constant of the water figures in the Z match.   When I'm
testing an amp I connect a hose and sprinker to the water output fitting
and water the lawn.  .  .  Now that  my  >1400w amps have been sold, I
need to find a new home for the 8730.   A water flow meter and all of the
Bird paperwork is included.  //  Sprinkler Not included.

-  later

Rich...