[AMPS] Input Tuned Circuits with Powdered Iron Toroids

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Input Tuned Circuits with Powdered Iron Toroids
From: donovanf@erols.com (Frank Donovan W3LPL)
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 23:06:21 -0500
Jon,
Excellent question!

A class B amplifier produces many harmonics as it switches from
conducting to non-conducting, and the input tuned circuit must provide
an excellent input termination impendance not only at the fundamental
frequency, but also at the 3rd harmonic and ideally at the 5th harmonic
as well.   This would not be a problem if it were a Class A amplifier,
but that's certainly not practical for a high power RF amplifier!

Even a  short piece of RG-58 between the input tuned circuit and the
tube socket significantly increases the input termination impedance at
the harmonic frequencies.  I discovered this 25 years ago when I
originally built these amps, I had only about 12 inches of RG-58 between
the tuned circuit and the socket.  The 10M amp produced less than 1000
watts output with 100 watts drive and the tube ran brilliant red!  The
15M amp produced only 1200 watts and the 20M amp had only1300-1400 watts
output with 100 watts drive.  Moving the tuned circuits to the tube
sockets made all of the amps perform essentially identical with 1500
watts output with 80 watts drive.

By the way, my mother's maiden name is Ogden!

Regards,
Frank
W3LPL
donovanf@erols.com