[AMPS] Amplifier for CW

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Amplifier for CW
From: rakefet@rakefet.com (Vic Rosenthal)
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 15:02:59 -0800
OK, even though I have a perfectly good working amplifier, reading about all
these building projects has made me decide that I want to build one too.  Here's
my question: I'm a CW operator.  I got a mike with my transceiver, but I can't
find it.  Given this, I'd like to design my amp from the start for CW only.

My thought was to set the no-signal bias high enough to cut off the plate
current completely.  Then the operating point would be a little past class-B.
As long as the bias is not high enough to start sharpening up the keying, why
should I care about IMD?  This would give me more efficiency and simplify the
circuitry.

Any comments or other suggestions?  I'm also open to suggestions for choice of
tube (preferable) or tubes.  I'd like to get between 1000 and 1500 watts CW
output.  Price is a big factor!

73,
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA