[AMPS] More on the SB220

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] More on the SB220
From: w4eto@rmii.com (Richard W. Ehrhorn)
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 17:02:03 -0700
Hi Ian...

I have no doubt that we saw many "Rocky Point effect" flashovers in the
3CV1500A7 (vapor cooled 3CX1000A7) tubes we used in our first amps - the
ALPHA SEVENTY c. 1970. The BANG occurred much more often in standby (tube
biased beyond cutoff) than when drawing plate current, and it was LOUD.
Reason? The arc was in a vacuum. But until we got smart and installed
surge-current suppression resistors ("glitch resistors") in the HV leads,
the 25 uf filter cap charged to ~4 kV discharging through the tube arc
often blew the plate choke into 200+ neat half-turns of magnet wire!

Eimac engineers referred to the cause of the flashovers as "barnacles," but
your description is much more descriptive. These flashovers usually
occurred very early in tube life - more often than not during factory
checkout of the amplifiers - and were self-clearing after two or three
flashes. We also experienced frequent new-tubes-in standby flashovers in
early 8877s and 8874s through the late 70's, but in the last 15 years or so
they seem much less common.

But the BANG from those RF chokes disintegrating during a Rocky Point arc
during checkout of early '70V made several of us pretty jittery about
pushing the power-on button the first time! Proper fault current limiting
resistors tame the phenomenon to the point that many times the plate
overcurrent relay or breaker doesn't even trip.

73,    Dick  W0ID