[AMPS] Blower speed reduction

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Blower speed reduction
From: rakefet@rakefet.com (Vic Rosenthal)
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 21:52:00 -0800
I just picked up a Kooltronic model KBB35-102 centrifugal blower.  Te outlet on
it is 2-1/2" square.  There's no CFM rating on it, but it produces enough air
for 10 3-500Z's, I think.  Since I have just two, I want to reduce the speed and
noise a bit.  I tried it on a variac, and it seemed to do a nice job at 90v.

The motor is rated 1/35 hp, 1a at 115v.  It appears to be an induction motor. My
question is, is it OK to reduce the speed with a series resistor, or could this
damage the motor?

73,
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA