[AMPS] Re: Full break-in...

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Full break-in...
From: rakefet@rakefet.com (Vic Rosenthal)
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 12:54:47 -0700
G3CWI@aol.com wrote:

> What sort of full break-in circuit is the best? Has anyone tried PIN diode
> switches at the multi KW level of are vacuum relays the only ways to go?

I've had very good results with my single 3-500z using the vacuum relay circuit
described on Rich Measures' web site <http://www.vcnet.com/measures/>

I used a 150v current-limited supply and Kilovac relay.  I key the amp directly
from the 12v tx output of my TS850s (Rich's circuit includes a transistor switch
to make this possible).  I hooked the amp to a scope, and saw no spikes or other
evidence of hot-swiching up to 50 wpm dits.  I've been using this system for
about a year now.  A concern is that the relay is rated for 2 million
operations, which actually could be a relatively short time if the amp is used
full QSK for serious contesting.  I'm not a 'serious' contester, and I often use
semi-QSK for casual operating, so I can't report on this.

I have no experience with PIN diodes, although I know that the areas of concern
here are damage from static electricity and voltages resulting from high SWR
(like the time I sent a whole 40-meter transmission into the 20-meter quad).

73,
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA