[AMPS] Purpose of components on SB-1000

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Purpose of components on SB-1000
From: rakefet@rakefet.com (Vic Rosenthal)
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 07:22:23 -0700
Rich Measures wrote:

> It seems a bit curious that a separate meter is devoted to grid-current
> since the amount of grid-current plays no part in tuneup.  A filament
> voltmeter (and rheostat adj.) would have been way more useful than a
> grid-current meter.

Actually I find the grid current meter very useful as an indication of the
degree of loading.  It's also quite easy to cause excessive grid current to flow
with a 100w exciter, and it's a good warning device.

I don't know about Lane's filament voltage, but I measured it in my SB-1000 and
it just about exactly 5.0v.  My new amp will have a rheostat as you suggest,
however.

73,
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA