[AMPS] tubes with holes in them

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] tubes with holes in them
From: jtml@lanl.gov (John T. M. Lyles)
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 12:03:49 -0600
I saw this happen in an old Gates 1 KW MW transmitter, in which the 807
driver stage was direct coupled to the 833 final, and the driver cathode
current in turn, set up the final current (or it may have been in the
modulator stage, my memory fails here). It lost bias for the 807 (or maybe
that tube quit). No interlock protected the 833 triode, so it lit up like
an incandescent lamp and shortly sucked a hole into the glass and went up
to air. It looked like what you described. Melted.   It was from a MAJOR
over dissipation in the plate of that jug.

John
K5PRO