[AMPS] Solid-state relay question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Solid-state relay question
From: rakefet@rakefet.com (Vic Rosenthal)
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 11:29:34 -0700
Rich Measures wrote:

> >I have a solid-state relay rated at 45 amps, 277 volts.  I would like to
> >use it
> >in the primary circuit of my plate supply, which has a 2400 va ccs
> >transformer
> >in it.  Is there any reason not to use this type of relay?
>
> ?  In a C-filter supply using a 2400VA transformer with a 240v primary,
> the recurrent peak mains current could be over 100A if the secondary R is
> low.  Have you measured it?.

Well, the secondary resistance is 26 ohms and the capacitor is 30 mf.  I haven't
measured the peak current, since I don't know how to do that!  The relay is an
Opto 22 type 240D45; the catalogs I have don't show the peak current rating for
it.  But similar relays are rated at much more than 100a peak (e.g., 600a).
Maybe someone has the complete specs on this one?

73,
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA