[AMPS] 4cx10000/imd/sunits/splatter etc

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 4cx10000/imd/sunits/splatter etc
From: irosky@yahoo.com (igor rosky)
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 06:48:01 -0700 (PDT)

Well what this points to is the inability of most ham radio
manufactueres to deliver a decent total solution. G3SEK will probaly
disagree, but here goes

 A TRANSMITTER WITH A 3RD order IMD OF -40 DB
 A RECEIVER WITH A THIRD ORDER INTERCEPT POINT OF   +30DBM
 THE RECEIVERS RECALIBRATED TO THE COMMERCIAL  STANDARD  SO WE CAN
MEASURE ANTENNAS AND POWER ACURATELY, THIS WAS SUGGESTED BY DR RHODE IN
QST

When we achieve this we can then talk about more power. Look at the
problems that station like GI0AIJ and N7ML  have with stations
complaining constantly about splatter and illegal power etc. When in
reality the complaining stations  receivers cant cope, and likewise the
transmiters are well within spec but at the signal levels the stacks
generate it sounds terrible since 30 db down from beeing 50db over S9
is not all that much. Also at this signal level you will start hearing
the 5th order products quite well. We must remember what we can do with
QRP power, so these odd order products are beeing sent across the ocean
that are signal strength 6 or there abouts.

You would think a DSP radios like the Kachina or the New Ten tec could
have had this high performance market to themselves, yet they chose to
deliver a mediocre product that have performance figures from the late
seventies. So much for progress

Igor