[AMPS] Re: Sweep tube amp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Sweep tube amp
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 12:06:04 -0400
> One is that the manual says the final is rated at 1kw for SSB.  I would
> assume that I could expect to get that out during a very short key down
> interval of a couple of seconds or so.  When loading, I do get an
> indicated input of about 900w with the plate meter (again during a very
> short interval).

Around 1980 or so, linear amplifier ratings all changed from dc
input power to peak output power.

The Heath SB-220 was designed to run 600 watts CW output, and
1200 watts PEP SSB output, It was a 2 KW linear because that is
the maximum peak envelope dc input power rating.

Your amp is rated under the old system. It is a KW dc PEP input
amp. About equal to a 500 watt amp rated in the method common
today.

By the way, most antenna tuner manufacturers never changed.
They still use PEP dc input power as the rating "standard".

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com