[AMPS] Need info on an used ALPHA 374

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Need info on an used ALPHA 374
From: tkass@netzero.net (tkass)
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 11:27:15 -0500
Hans,

There were 2 versions of the Alpha 374 - the 374 and the 374A - the
original 374
uses 3 x 8874 (3CX400A7) and the "A" version only 2...PEP output was not
given
in the book but only input...the 374 runs 3K input.  The "A" version
added 160
mtrs - no WARC . the oringinal 374 was 80 - 10 mtr only..both versions
incorporated manual and automatic (bandpass) tuning for each band....not
sure
but I think the Hypersil transformer was an option on the 374A.....it is
standard on the original 374.

I have read and heard about the conversion to 2 x 3CX800A7 - the tubes
are a
direct fit..but you will need to put in a filament transformer for the
higher
(double) voltage...apparantly they will fit in sockets 1 and 3 on the
374 but
dont know about the "A" version...can't fit side by side due to the
larger
size..

Prices on the 8874 are high  around $300 or so...same on the 3CX800
...about the
same price, in fact I think Ive seen the same prices for both tubes on
the
russian site..that is why many hams are looking at the 3CX800 as a
replacement....gud luck... Tim  WB8OWX