[AMPS] Blowers

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Blowers
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 07:50:35 -0700

>>>note -- High-pressure centrifugal blowers have
>>>relatively narrow, large diameter squirrel-cages
>>>that operate at c. 3400 rpm.
>
>>Unfortunately, they are also noisy. Quiet blowers
>>producing lots of air flow have large wheels,
>>go slowly, but don't necessarily work well under
>>the back pressure requirements (I guess if it
>>was big enough, it might be OK)
>
>I'm building amps for 2 and 6 using a 4CX800. I bought a blower
>from Grainger, # 4C006 that runs at 2200 RPM and shows ratings
>of 82 CFM at 1 in. pressure and 42 CFM at 1.2 in. pressure. I've
>tried it and it is really quiet. The next step is to stick a
>manometer near the tube and see what it's really doing.

?  Excellent idea, Frank.  I have yet to see a blower that  delivers the
manufacturer's claimed airflow.  There is no substitute for the
cardboard-box / socket / tube / manometer test.  In my experiences,
really-quite usually means not really that much pressure.

>If it works, this may be a good blower choice for amps using this size
>tube. I'll post the figures when I get them.

?  1" of pressure drop across the 4CX800A anode cooler should keep the
ceramic/metal seals cool enough up to roughly 7000 feet altitude.
.  cheers

end