[AMPS] A tuned line problem

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] A tuned line problem
From: wc6w@juno.com (Radio WC6W)
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 20:51:36 EST
Hello everyone,
   I'm looking at putting together a binary proportioned tuneable coaxial
line electromechanically adjustable from about 100' down to 6' or (1/4
wave on 160-10 meters) for use in the output section of a transistorized
amp.

   If I use transfer relays to switch the line sections, I'll have about
40 connectors in the assembly plus all the relay's themselves which will
certainly introduce a bit of loss... and cost!!!

    So, I was thinking of making my own integral "relays" using some 1/4"
wide silver rod sliced up to make the fixed contacts and 1/4" wide bar
stock to make the moveable contacts"

   The circuit looks something like this and will be the same in assembly
view looking down on the contacts.
                ___
     ___      |    |
     |    |       |    |        <-- Line sections 1&2 of 10
     B  C         F  G
-----A  D----E  H----  <-- Main line

  I would position the main line at an appropriate distance above the
chassis to maintain a 50ohm impdeance.   The moveable contacts may have
to tolerate a slight mismatch.

  To switch the first line section in requires a connection across fixed
contacts AB and CD; to bypass it, a connection across AD.

  My query to the group is what would be the most expedient methodology
to use (also something I can easily fabricate!) for the relay mechanism?

   A rotating contact arrangement driven by small motors?  with the
contacts carried on an insulating disk pushed by a spring against the
fixed contacts.

   or horizontally sliding driven by small linear actuators?  Again with
a spring to provide contact force

   or vertically (as in a "standard" relay") with the acutating mechanism
providing the force.

   or something else????

  I'm more electrically than mechanically inclined so, all suggestions
are welcome!

73
  Marv  WC6W

*