[AMPS] SB-220: Operate/Standby Switch

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB-220: Operate/Standby Switch
From: da_kang@hotmail.com (Jeff Wolf)
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 19:34:37
>In the commercial world, $6 on a component is at least
>$12 on the ex-works price.

Maybe in the Euro world, but here in the states, it doesn't.

I work for the 2nd largest HVAC manufacturer in the world
(nice, since high speed, high volume blowers are easy for
me to procure :)  ), and when we decided to go to wood
pallets instead of using no pallets (just shrink-wrap 2 units
together, and then use forks designed to pick up the piggybacked
units) it cost the end user about a dollar more...

>In the case of a variable or
>preset control, where testing and adjustment is
>required, add another $5.

Not on our assembly line.  Going to variable regulation on the
new R12 replacement, it involved about 2 minutes per unit extended
on the assembly line.  This, passed on to the consumer, cost them
nothing more.  We where able to absolve it, and the conveyor speed
system wasn't changed.  Same thing on an amplifier.

Maybe that is why European cars cost so much?  They charge 12 dollars
for a reostat, and 5 dollars for the tech to turn it?

Use the same method Pride did on the DX-300/1KW unit.  A small
3 prong receptacle on the back, with the reostat easily accessible,
and you plug in a meter, and adjust the voltage to required.  Takes me
about 10 seconds to set the resting plate current on a DX-300 this way.

I can't see it taking any more than that.

>These are the real costs you
>find in a production environment.

In the words of George Carlin, NIMBY  (not in my backyard)