[AMPS] Henry 3000D rf deck

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Henry 3000D rf deck
From: realex@flash.net (Bob Alexander)
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 06:15:34 -0600
Hi Bill,
The 3000D does not lend itself well to modification for all band use.
The Tube plate capacity is rather high making it very difficult to
make it work on 10 Meters.  To drive the tube to 1500 W output
with 100 W drive requires around 6500 VDC on the plate.  At lower
voltages efficiency suffers when 100W drive is used.  The tube really
wants over 400 W drive to perform.  The amount of airflow required
makes for a noisey piece of equipment.  Placing a Pi-net or Pi-L
tuning network inside the original enclosure can be done but not easily.
Then, you will likely have to contend with parasitic problems.

Given time I could probably think of more problems you might run into.
These random observations are based on the 2 years I spent trying to
make a 3000D work on all bands.  Some of the locals started referring
to the amp as "Ampzilla".  It now resides in someone else's junk box.
73, GOOD LUCK,
Bob, W5AH

P.S.  If you decide to attempt the project, I think I have some notes
in a file cabinet that might make life easier for you. Bob

P.P.S  A few years ago the 3000D WITH power supplies were going for around
$200- $300 in the Dallas area.