[AMPS] 230 /115 volts

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 230 /115 volts
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 17:56:06 -0400
> Thanks for the info that W/VE homes are 230V.

They are 240v, not 220 or 230.

The standard is 240v, although some large occupied buildings use
three-phase....which are then 120v/208v

My house has a pair of 200 ampere mains, so I have a total of four
200 ampere breakers. My line voltage runs about 248 volts off-peak
times, and 240 volts or so during heavy load periods.

We require ground fault breakers near locations where moisture or
ground fault safety are a concern.

Most of our appliances are 120 volt devices, as are all lights. The
exception are larger air conditioners, heating, cooking, and power
amplifiers.

We selected 120 volts for low power devices and grounded neutrals for safety
reasons.

> In my ignorance I thought 110/115 was commonly available.

It is, at most electrical outlets. My rooms each have several 120V
15 ampere outlets. Each room with a window has a 240 volt 30
ampere outlet for air conditioning at a window, and the kitchen has
240 volt 50 ampere and 30 ampere outlets (different plugs required).
The bathrooms, kitchen and garage areas (and basements if I had
one) in my county require ground fault detecting outlets or breakers.

So we do use 120 volts, but also have 240 volts available at some
point or many points in virtually every house. There is no 220 or
230 volt. That was the old standard from many many years ago,
but we sometimes slip and call it 220-230.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com