[AMPS] blower

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] blower
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 10:54:13 -0700

>> Thomas -- there are no "gods" on AMPS.  However, we have one
>> self-recognized "expert".
>>

>ex·pert (ekspûrt)
> n.  1.A person with a high degree of skill in or knowledge of a certain
>subject.
>
>Rich, you keep bringing this up. The fact is that there are a lot of experts
>on this reflector, and even though most of them don't say "I'm an expert"
>they demonstrate their expertise by answering questions, posting pictures of
>amps they've built, and engaging in (sometimes) helpful debate.

?  true enough.  However, there are also ad-libbers and fibbers here.

>Based on the
>above definition, you're an expert. Do you deny it? If not, then you're also
>a self-recognized expert.

?  I am not an expert.  I know only a little about linear, tube-type
amplifiers.

>If you've got the credentials to back it up there's no shame in proclaiming
>yourself an expert.

?  I have seen too many playoff games where the pre-game braggerts wound
up dining on crow sandwiches.  To me, bragging is bad form, as well as
being risky.

>I'm an expert in a number of areas, but amps isn't one
>of them. That's why I hang out here.
>
>Doug, K4DSP

?  The only self-declared "recognized amplifier expert" on AMPS made the
statement on p.72 of the September 1994 *QST*.  He also stated that the
resistance of nichrome increases as frequency decreases.  (sic)

cheers, Doug

end