[AMPS] Bandswitch ramblings...

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Bandswitch ramblings...
From: w7ti@dslextreme.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 16:04:34 -0700
On Wed, 5 Sep 2001 13:55:19 -0700, Radio WC6W wrote:

>  My solution of the moment is to make a scaled up version of the cam &
>leaf arrangement used by Tektronix in some of their test equipment of the
>1970-80's.   If you haven't seen the insides of one of those, it
>resembles a music box mechanism.  And if you haven't seen the insides of
>a music box, I'm out of analogies.

<snip>

>   Has anybody ever seen like this in an amplifier?  Thoughts?
>Suggestions??  ... Criticisms???  :-)

I was a production test technician on the 464/465/466 lines in Beaverton
in the late '70s and early '80s.  You are bringing back some memories!
I remember the switches well.

I'd say go for it.  There were two things I liked about that switch
design:

1.  The dual fingers were floating; essentially no lead inductance was
added by the switch itself.

2.  They had a wiping action which helped keep the contact surface
clean.

Mechanically, I'd say you have your work cut out for you, but when you
get it going, it should be quite satisfactory.

And tnx for spelling Tektronix correctly!  :-)

73, Bill W7TI