[AMPS] re: need info on KLM amp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] re: need info on KLM amp
From: nospam4me@juno.com (skipp isaham)
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 01:29:50 -0700
re: KLM Amplifier info
-
A few years ago (more like 10 or 15), bare boards from
the production line of KLM were being sold by HSC
Electronics (a chain in No Calif.)  The circuit diagram
was provided for the two or three power levels related
to the two boards sold.  I probably still have the copies
I received and can probably provide them to patient
people who really need them.
-
Although some might have been class C, there are
many known conversions "out there" and one can
easily be lifted from another similar design.  I have
converted class C amplifiers into Linear operation
by adding a bias network and output filter tweaks.
-
The possibility is determined by the actual devices
in the amplifier.  Some emitter balasted transistors
don't operate in linear modes.  I have modified
and "forced" commercial two way PA's into linear
operation with very mixed results, some devices
just don't work well in linear ckts.  I had a bit more
luck with less specialized transistors.
-
The devices in your klm should be looked up and
to determine if they will operate in linear
modes, hopefully you will find the power devices
have more than house numbering labels.
Some suppliers have Cross Ref tables to work
back from.
-
The bias circuit is "relatively" easy thing to add.
-
cheers
skipp
-