[Amps] Blowers

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Blowers
From: jstrohm@texas.net (Jim Strohm)
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 10:30:11 -0600
Richard <2@mail.vcnet.com> says --

I said >>Once you stall the blower, there's no airflow to cool the motor,
and it
>>will overheat relatively quickly.
>>
>*  Maximum load on a blower is with free flow delivery.  During a
>cavitation condition, the airflow stalls and, since the motor is not
>working as hard, it speeds up slightly.  Also, the typical motor has a
>radial-wheel impeller on the armature to cool itself.

Yes.  With no place for the "cooled" air to go, it stays at the motor.
With a no-load motor running at top speed, cavitation occurs.  Neither is
an operative condition in a real-world application.  I've quit playing
carelessly with squirrelcage blowers after once sticking my hand in one.

>*  If energy efficiency is a concern, Dayton motors run so hot you can't
>hold your hand on one that has been on for an hour.  However, in KL7-land
>Dayton motors are useful for warming hands in winter.

A good point.  In 5-land, it could be useful to monitor air temps in the
grid compartment as well as above the anode.  Above 5,000 feet, the ratings
start to change ...

>>But with the junk most of us use, "big enough" is all you need.
>>
>*  ...  measuring pressure with a manometer is better than guessing.   I
>know a K5 who claimed he tell how good a vacuum capacitor was just by
>"eyeballing" it -- until the day we measured the leakage on a vacuum cap
>with my high-pot tester.

So how many kV were his eyeballs calibrated for, and did he have a NIST
certificate for them?

Like I said, "with the junk most of us use" -- a manometer with a
reasonable amount of accuracy is simple to fabricate with a dollar's worth
of clear aquarium air tubing, a ruler, and a piece of stiff cardboard.  A
drop of food coloring in the water makes it easier to read.

Jim N6OTQ