[Amps] Dentron GLA 1000 and Amp Supply Amplifier follow up comments.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Dentron GLA 1000 and Amp Supply Amplifier follow up comments.
From: k4ik@subich.com (Joe Subich, K4IK)
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 08:47:04 -0500

If someone produced a new PC board for it, a conversion to single
4CX400 would be interesting for the GLA-1000.  The only real issue
would be getting the proper high voltage.  The 4CX400 is easier to
cool than 2 x 4CX250 and should be able to provide 500 to 600 watts.

> With 40 watts drive, an improved Dentron or similar
> Amplifier could provide 10dB or more, stage gain.
> Nothing wrong with an extra 10dB...   You can't buy
> the parts to use as a starter amplifier project for what
> you can pick up a dead Dentron for...

With a 4:1 (or 9:1) step up auto-transformer ("balun") and the
appropriate grid "swamping" resistor, a modified Dentron or similar
amplifier could provide 20 dB of gain for use with the Yaesu FT-817,
Elcraft or other QRP rig.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK