[Amps] choke resonances

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] choke resonances
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 20:50:58 -0400
> Please inform us, Tom, if you his name, the person who
> wound up one of these things for the first time. I would like
> to ask him his reasoning for making gaps in the winding.

Someday when I have time I will put some amplifier stuff up on my web
page, and testing chokes should be one of the more useful things.

The gaps are there because those areas were "hot spots" where
voltages were highest when series resonances were checked. Removing
turns from the voltage hot spots has by far the largest effect on the
series resonance frequency compared to changes on other frequencies.

With that in mind, if you want to move a series resonance don't just
peel turns off on the end, remove turns at the area of voltage peak.
Doing so will let you move the series resonance up much more rapidly,
because you are removing both inductance and capacitance from the
critical area.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com