[Amps] RE: FW: diode strings...bias

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] RE: FW: diode strings...bias
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 19:08:46 -0700

**  If  600pF of grid bypass to gnd was causing the drive requirement to
go up, there should have been a difference between 3.5 and 29MHz.  At
3.5MHz, 600pF has 75-ohms.  At 29MHz, 9.5-ohms.

>>> The fellows  with  the  SB-221's  also  reported  that  their  output
>power
>>> on  10M  shot  up  from 700-800  watts  to 1350-1400 !!
>>>
>**   10m is the band where 600pF of grid bypass [XC=9.4-ohms] is
>seemingly enough.  Since a typical "Zero-inductance" 3-500Z
>grid-grounding strap has c. 15nH of XL at 10m, a 600pF  grid-bypass will
>put the grid closer to ground than a strap.
>
>####  (VE7RF)  That  was  my  thought  as  well.  But  like  the  guys  at
>Nasa  say,  "one  test  is  worth  a  1000  opinions."
>
>>> The  fellows  with  the  TL-922's  reported  that  they  could  now
>>> remove  the  AG6K  nichrome  suppressors,  and  the  TL-922's   were
>now
>>> rock  stable.
>>>
>**  922 / rock stable . . .  I own one and that's laughable.  They are
>[factory-fresh] squirrelier than a SB-220 or an AL-1200 with
>"neutralization".
>
>#### (VE7RF)  That's  cuz  the  stock  922  uses  the  600pf  bypass  caps.
>600pf  isn't  much  of  a  bypass,  esp  on  the  lower  bands.

**  the 922 does not oscillate at HF.

>You  can try  it  urself,  and  even  leave  in  the  stock  3  x  200pf
bypass
>caps  +  rf  chokes.  In  any  event,  it  works,  the  922's  are  stable,
>no  nichrome  needed,  and  20w  less  drive  required.

**  No nichrome is needed to reduce vhf-Q if one happens to have a <15nH
resistor that can dissipate 25w.    If such a resistor is used, increase
L-supp by c.60% and vhf-Q should be low enough. 25w dissipation is no
problem, however, 15nH is.  Cesivid Co. said they could build such a
resistor for a $10,000 minimum order for 1k units.

>####  (VE7RF)  Perhaps  in  a  GG  amp,  one  actually  needs  to  ground
>the  grids !

**  The grids will be closer to ground at 29MHz with 600pF than with an
L=15nH strap.

>We  then insert  a  fast  grid  fuse  in  series  with  the
>grid  shunt.

**   Good

>A  100k  R  is  placed  in  parallel  with  the  fuse  holder.

**  paralleling a dime-size 120v MOV might be good.

>###  (VE7RF) Ur  idea  of  replacing  the  stock  chokes  with  30  ohm grid
>resistor  "fuses",  just  creates  unneeded,  and  varying  bias.

The V-drop across the 30-ohm resistors amounts to c, 5% of the
cathode-grid voltage.  What effect did you observe?

www.vcnet.com/measures.
end