[Amps] A general question about why anodes get hot

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] A general question about why anodes get hot
From: wlfuqu00@uky.edu (wl fuqua)
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 10:14:11 -0400
         Basically each electron is accelerated thru an
electrical  potential (voltage) and gains kinetic energy.  This energy goes
some place when the electron strikes the anode of the tube. Well, it goes
into heat.  If the plate of an amplifier fed a zero impedance load. That
is, no power out and the plate voltage would not decrease with an increase
of plate current, all of the power (VxI)  would go into kinetic energy and
be dissipated in the plate as heat. So,at zero efficiency all the plate
dissipation would be simply VxI. However, as an amplifier the plate voltage
swings to a lower value when the current increases and swings higher when
it deceases. This is due to the voltage drop across the load impedance
(power output). The power applied to the tube's plate circuit by the power
supply ends up being divided between the electrons' kinetic energy (plate
dissipation) and the load (output power). What does not go to the load goes
into heat.

73
Bill wa4lav