[Amps] RF Grid Current

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] RF Grid Current
From: g4ftc@hotmail.com (David G4FTC)
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 13:50:46 +0000
Perhaps some of the gurus can enlighten me. This is something which I've
never seen referenced in any tube manufacturer's publications, but I've
always wondered if it would ever be a potential problem and possibly
limiting factor in VHF/UHF amplifier design.

In a VHF or UHF tube amplifier, the tube's output capacitance normally forms
the dominant tuning element within the output tank circuit with a smaller
value external capacitor to provide fine tuning - usually in the form of a
flapper or disk.

At VHF or UHF, these capacitances are such that the output tank circuit will
invariably have a high Q. This Q will result in a high RF current
circulating within the tank circuit with most of this circulating current
flowing through the tube itself. Within a tetrode, it is the screen grid
which forms part of this circuit.

Whereas the screen grid has certain D.C. dissipation limits as per the tube
manufacturers datasheet, I have never seen any mention of the maximum A.C.
(RF) current ratings for the grids. I would have thought that an excessive
RF circulating current could damage (fuse) what is normally in most tubes a
fairly delicate structure.

Is this one of the factors that the tube manufacturers take into account
when deriving their "Maximum frequency for full ratings" figure?

Regards

David G4FTC