[Amps] Passive grid:

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Passive grid:
From: 2@vc.net (Rich)
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 06:22:02 -0800

>the
>> the

>> screen

>> >Hi Rich,
>> >
>> >So you would need to use a resistor of a high enough value that would
>> >limit zener
>> >current to around maximum screen current that would be expected?
>>
>> Yes
>>
>> >Then is it ok to run maximum screen current and maximum screen voltage
with
>no
>> >plate voltage?
>>
>> When the anode/plate V disappears, there is no current through the
>> resistor that delivers current to the screen regulator, so the screen has
>> 0V/0A.
>>

>But there WILL be screen voltage and no plate voltage if a plate choke
>should open as an example.

I have never seen one open during a hv+ to gnd arc.

> Could the screen be damaged with full screen voltage and
>full screen current with no plate voltage?

The screen can be damaged only if its W-rating is exceed.

>Or if the HV supply fuse should open,

No HV fuse is needed if the primary of the hv transformer has a circuit
breaker.  The glitch resistor in the hv positive lead should never open
since it's job is to limit fault current.  //  HV fuses are not cheap -
besides being of zero value in this application.

>the plate voltage will decay to a
>low value
>while the screen will still be at it's level until the supplies capacitor
>decays to below the screen level. Although in this case the screen current
capacity
>will eventually fall below the zener current. But before it does there is
>potential for
>full screen current with much reduced plate voltage.

If the screen's W-rating can not be exceeded by the max current that can
pass through the series dropping resistor that connects the screen to the
hv+, the screen will live happily ever after.

cheers, Gary