[Amps] Filament Choke Inductance

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Filament Choke Inductance
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 04:57:27 -0800
>Hi Rich, you mean that if I float the xfmr and bypass everything to the core
>of the xfmr, I assume with .01's, then I put
>a puny bifilar choke in the primary and I don't need ANY choke in the
>secondary?
>Sounds too good to be true.

This is the way  commercial amp mfgs do it.  For example, a triode with a
7.5v/160a filament is not easy to build a filament choke for unless the
choke goes in the 240v primary of the fil xfmr.
--  I would use a filament xfmr primary choke for a filament of more than
30 amperes (#10-gauge Cu).

> I am planning on locating thefil. xfmr
>down in the power supply area and bringing the 7.5V into the Rf  deck thru
>two  .2ufd feedthru caps.  I also want to keep the CT down in the P.S.
>along with the bias resistor and meter circuitry.

Peter Dahl makes custom filament transformers that can be mounted under a
4"
' deep chassis.  [photo of 7.5v/75A Dahl xfmr:
http://WWW.VCNET.COM/measures/pb.grid.gif ]

have fun, Bob

www.vcnet.com/measures.
end