[Amps] 2, 3-400Z's on SIX? de VY1JA

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 2, 3-400Z's on SIX? de VY1JA
From: stevek at jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Wed Feb 19 16:45:00 2003
I agree the "flapper" tuning cap works quite well in lieu of a small value
vacuum variable; but its adjustment is quite critical, and if a flapper is
used it should be with a gear reduction or some other method of making very
small adjustments easily.  The beauty of a 2-30pF vacuum cap, of course, is
that it adjusts in very small increments easily without any further gear
reduction or drive mechanism...usually a few shaft rotations only changes
capacitance by 1-2 pF when the cap is used in its nearly "open" position.
-WB2WIK/6

"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure with no loss of
enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill