[Amps] PS project

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] PS project
From: no9z at soltec.net (Lynn)
Date: Thu Apr 10 14:07:39 2003
 Hello all......  I need a little advice on this powersupply project.

  I have almost completed a nice  5000 v   2amp supply using a large
Wilcox transformer with a capacitive filter.   50uf at 7kv.

   I found out after construction that the Wilcox transformer requires
a choke input.   The circuit breaker trips  (25amp) when sending a
cw signal from the radio  (occassionaly).  I believe the output
impedence
of the power supply is too low, thus causing excessive current .  It
appears this happens when the ac cycle is at its peak.

   Is there a solution to this problem where I can still retain the 5kv?

I understand that if a choke is installed in the b+ the output will be
.9 of the rectified ac instead of 1.3 times the ac supply volts.

   Ideas?

Lynn  NO9Z