[Amps] BadHam.com

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] BadHam.com
From: "Harold B. Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 11:44:29 -0400
Hi, Brian,

It is with great pleasure that the report to you is that after
forty one (41) years of hamming I have never encountered
an Amateur swindler.

Now we won't mention a certain Research Fellow with
the "reputation" of The PIN Diode Affair because that
falls under Someone Else's Personal Encounter.

My experience was due entirely to stupidity. While trying
to get a good deal on a used Rolex GMT Master-II
wristwatch I fell into the clutches of one of the sharks of
E-Bay, a guy named Ron or John McCoy, who substituted
a cheap fake instead of shipping the item shown in his
pictured advertisement. Two thousand dollars, and the
police in Texas say he moved out of his home to avoid
capture.

Two thousand dollars wouldn't cover moving my books........

But yes, there was no Ham operator involved. All of my
distance trading with ham radio junk through the years
has been totally satisfying.

Still in all, I caution all of us who are tempted, as I was,
by a deal that seems almost too good to be true.

Lastly, I mention the contact I made in Tennessee, with
an OT with a 1X2 callsign, who just happened to have all
the guts to transform my Alpha 77Dx into a full-blown '77Sx,
including the 8877, which when setup with RLM's parasitic
choke design, gave hundreds of excellent QRO hours.

Hal
KA1XO/4