Re: [Amps] H2O cooled tubes

To: <amps@contesting.com>, "John T. M. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>
Subject: Re: [Amps] H2O cooled tubes
From: "Barrie Smith" <barrie@centric.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 19:09:18 -0700
John:

Several years ago I ran a single 3CX100 in a cavity for 1296.  The tube
was/is fitted with a water cooling device.

On the recommendation of "someone", I used mineral oil instead of water.
The theory was that mineral oil was less of a conductor than water, and had
better heat transfer capabilities.

All seemed to work well with that system, but, due to my location, I soon
gave up on 1296.

I've had thoughts recently about putting the 1296 system back on the air,
since there appears to be a few more stations about that I might work.

What are your thoughts regarding the use of mineral oil versus water?

73, Barrie, W7ALW