Re: [Amps] 220V service for amplifier

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 220V service for amplifier
From: Joe Isabella <n3ji@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 09:02:01 -0800 (PST)
Jason,
The "old" standard was only three wires for dryers (two Hots and a Neutral),
but I'm pretty sure
that new homes have 4 wire dryer outlets now.  Consider the Neutral to be
ground, since they are
tied together in your breaker box anyway.  I simply used the three-wire dryer
outlet (30A) since
my amp came with the three-wire plug.  Also, you might consider the 15 or 20A
style of 240V
outlets if you're doing yours from scratch.  I've seen several HF Amps done
that way.  It's the
ones that look just like 120V outlets but have one or both of the prongs turned
sideways (like on
large window ACs).  I'm suggesting this because I had a bit of trouble finding
the dryer
plugs/outlets at Home Depot...

Joe,
N3JI