RE: [Amps] 220V service for amplifier

To: "Bill Coleman" <n2bc@stny.rr.com>,"Joe Isabella" <n3ji@yahoo.com>, "Amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [Amps] 220V service for amplifier
From: "Mike McCarthy, W1NR" <w1nr@eecorp.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 11:01:15 -0500
I agree with Bill.  Most new installations require separate neutral and
ground at the breaker box and for years, sub services had separate
neutral and ground as well.  Never consider neutral to be the same as
ground.  4 wires is used to supply 110V + neutral to internal devices
that require it (fans, lights, filament transformer, etc.) so that the
ground does not carry current.  Ground is for "safety" only.

The "old" standard was NOT two hot and a neutral.  It is in fact two hot
180 out of phase + ground.  There are still applications where two hot +
ground is used.  These are mostly electric radiant heaters, 220V air
conditioners and 220V motors where 110V is not needed.

Mike, W1NR