Re: [Amps] 220V service for amplifier

To: "Paul Christensen, Esq." <w9ac@arrl.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 220V service for amplifier
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 05:58:00 -0600
While I was president of Alpha/Power and involved in repair of
Alpha 77 amps I asked Dick Ehrhorn why he had designed the
amps with only a 3-wire AC connection and with a 120 VAC blower
since this design made the amp much more difficult to use
in foreign countries that have 220-only service.  (If you insist on
using a 120 VAC blower at least design the transformer so that
the primary can be used as an autotransformer to power the
blower.)

Dick was quite candid about his answer saying that he just didn't
know any better at the time.  Pointing out the difference between
an electronics engineer and an electrician/electrical (power) engineer.

I truly appreciate candor.  In the early days of microprocessors
(S-100 bus and CP/M and 8080s) Dr. Godbout brought out an
8K Basic on ROM (a bank of 1702s on its own board, if I recall)
This seemed like a major breakthrough since it obsoleted the
requirement of loading 8K Basic from the paper tape reader which
took about 30 minutes each time you turned on your computer.
But running Basic from ROM rather than RAM seemed like it
might be a bit slower--so I called him and asked him just how
fast his Basic ran from ROM.   His answer was, "Its slower than
hell!"  That sort of candor and honesty with no marketing hype
impressed me and it still does.  Tell me what your product will
do AND WHAT IT WON'T DO and I will make the decision based on
proper information and I will be a good customer.  Hide shortcomings
from me, only to be discovered after I buy your product then I won't
be back--unless you have me by the short hairs--like Microsoft!

73--John W0UN