[Amps] MLA-2500 Problem

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] MLA-2500 Problem
From: "Don Knight" <n4dek@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 01:53:46 -0500
MLA-2500 blowing fuses at power on:

Well I'm not a tech so that's the reason for the questions but I did do some
checking. I pulled both of the 8875's out and tried to power it up again and it
still blows the fuse. There was a very strong odor coming from the caps and
after close inspection it appears that they were venting. Brown goo coming out
of the bottom of three of the caps thru the vent holes. I'm hoping that it
didn't destroy anything else in the amp. The amp was working perfect lastnight
but this morning when I turned it on I did notice a rather large grunt from the
power supply at turn-on that I was not hearing before. It did power up ok and
worked fine until I turned it off again later on in the day and tried to turn
it on again. This time the grunt was more severe and this is when it started
blowing fuses. I'm hoping it's just the caps gone south? I did order 6 new caps
and I already had new bleeders ready to go in. Any and all info welcome.

                                                    Thanks,Don
                                                        n4dek