Re: [Amps] Grounded B+ amplifier

To: wrt@dslextreme.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Grounded B+ amplifier
From: ka1xo@juno.com
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 06:55:54 GMT
Dear Bill,

I can remember seeing some amplifier circuits in the either 1953 or 1978 ARRL
handbook that employed the ground-potential anode and where the cathode was
highly negative to the ground.

In fact, I can remember seeing pictures of the front panel where the builder
used copper screen across the face of the meter, mounted inside the front
escutcheon so if there were a HV event the meter would short out against the
screening.

I remember seeing the tube. It looked like a Sohxlett Extractor with glass tits
poking this way and that, and an udder-like general appearance, not round and
symmetrical.

The filament transformer was supported on 1-inch by 3/8ths inch ceramic
standoffs as were the air-variables, which all had insulated couplings on their
1/4-inch drive shafts.

That's the end of that film clip, Bill. I thought those people were on serious
drugs back then, when all this stuff was on shelves on Varick Street in Radio
Row in Manhattan.

Now I suspect a political Agenda.....

Hal
'XO