Re: [Amps] Emtron DX-3

To: on4ww@pandora.be
Subject: Re: [Amps] Emtron DX-3
From: "Harold B. Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 14:35:58 -0500
Mark,

You caught me at the hotel room computer. The EMTRON DX-3 review is
not on this machine. I will send it to you on Sunday night.

1. The EMTRON DX-series of amplifiers are experiencing a breakdown
    where the plate current swings all the way to max and the 600 volt
line
    fuses blow and there are no spare parts to fix them, or reasons why
this happens.

2. There are ten amplifiers that have recently failed this way waiting
for repair
    in Virginia, and they are going to be returned to their owners when
the
    ex-Emtron repair person receives money to ship them back without
being
    repaired.

3. The nomenclature on small electronic devices in the DX-series
amplifiers has
     been systematically erased and sanded off to prevent duplication of
the boards or
     non-authorized repairs or redesigns from being done.

4. The schematic diagram appearing in the owners manuals is tacitally
incorrect.

5. The American Repair facility has been waiting for over one year for
spare parts.

6. The Russian doorknob capacitors are KVI-3 and are not rated for RF
Power service
     and may heat up, short circuit and explode with no warning.

7. The exhaust pulling fan is half the CFM capacity of the pusher fan and
the buildup of
    residual air pressure in the final tube plenum means a drastic loss
of tube cooling
    air flow at best and a destroyed output tube at worst.

8. The tube sockets are manufactured in the mid 1960's. The tube itself
in my
    test amplifier was manufactured in 1990. The manufacturer does not
state that
    the amplifiers are "used" or "recycled" at any point and this is a
misrepresentation.

9. If the vacuum relay burns out it will be necessary to remove the
controller board. No
    spare controller boards are available if the board is damaged.

10. The GU-78b tube is no longer being manufactured and when stock is
depleted the
      amplifiers will not have any source of substitute devices.

Please contact me if you require further facts about the EMTRON DX-3.

Hal Mandel
KA1XO