[Amps] 3cpx5000a7

To: <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 3cpx5000a7
From: "Larry Carman" <lncarman@swbell.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 05:37:24 -0600
I'm sure there's been some talk about the 3cpx5000 tubes that I've missed.  I
built a amp using this tube
for 20 through 80 mtrs. Why isn't this a more popular tube with hams since
there are many pulls
available on the surplus market? It seems to be fairly rugged and requires
little drive ( 40 watts)
for 1500 watts out at about 4750 volts on the plate. No socket required.
Changing the tube is more
difficult since it bolts to the chassis.  It requires very little air flow for
1500 watts ( less than 35 cfm ).
I believe RF PARTS has the 15 volt filament transformers available for about
$50. The specs show
it to be a very clean tube. Anyone care to share some info about this tube as
to why I'm not seeing
too many HF amps being built using it?

Larry N5BIP