[Amps] 3cpx5000 responses

To: <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 3cpx5000 responses
From: "Larry Carman" <lncarman@swbell.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 08:27:23 -0600
I believe K7RDX is correct to a large extent when he stated that the 3cpx5000
isn't used more for amateur service because of the warm up time, which is 6
minutes min for the 3cpx5000. That is the reason I instead use the homebrewed
3cx3000 amp most of the time.  Someone mentioned that there are probably more
of these amps out there than we realize, but, those hams are a little
frightened to disclose their power capabilities. Mention of the cost and
ability to design around a 5 KV plus tube would be a real issue among many of
us. I was fortunate enough to have a good surplus market at my finger tips when
I constructed the amp.  Also, an issue was the availability of documentation
and schematics for an amp project that uses this tube. Some don't like to
experiment on there own, and I can understand why. One reply  really caught my
attention. Does the FCC really cruise the internet looking for those of us who
have the capability to exceed the 1500 mark??? I thought the rule was "It's not
what you got but how you use it". I seldom run more than 1000 watts. In my
opinion, a 5 KW tube will generate less harmonics than a bordered 1500 watter.

Thanks to all for responding to my first inquire to this group.

Larry N5BIP