[Amps] (no subject)

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] (no subject)
From: "Thomas Hix" <w4th@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 11:02:23 -0500
Hi all,

Is there some reason why there seems to be very few HF amps built around
the 4cx250b's? They seem to be cheep and very plentiful.

I am thinking of building an HF amp using 3 or 4 4cx250b's. Is there

anything wrong with doing this?

Cheers

Jerry

Hi Jerry;

Unless you already have the 4cx250b tubes, why not go with a pair of 4cx800a tubes. I think you can get as much or even more output from a pair of the 4cx800a/gu74b tubes than you can out of the 4 4cx250b tubes, and with the 4cx800a/gu74b tubes running around $190 a pair I would say it is a better buy.
No matter which tubes you go with, you may want to check out the G3SEK Tetrode board kits on my website www.tomstubes.com It is a great kit for anyone who builds an amp that runs tetrodes of any size......I also have the same type of kit for triodes.

73
Tom....W4TH

Tom's Tubes: Specializing in Amateur Radio Amplifier Tubes/Sockets & G3SEK Tetrode/Triode Boards & Kits http://www.tomstubes.com