[Amps] Searching for tubes at http://www.g8wrb.org/

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Searching for tubes at http://www.g8wrb.org/
From: David Kirkby <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 12:47:17 +0100
If anyone is searching for data sheets on tubes at

http://www.g8wrb.org/

please be aware the search engine does *not* work on partial matches. So if you enter 4CX10000, you will return no hits, whereas if you enter 4CX10000J you will find the data sheet on the Eimac 4CX10000J. You must enter the *full* part number for the tube you want.

There are exceptions where ommiting the last letter will sometimes work, but in general, don't do it. This only works if there are two tubes in the one data sheet (say Eimac 4CX250B and Eimac 4CX250F), in which case the file might be called 4CX250.pdf. But even then, this is not a good idea, as you will not find the data sheet on the Penta 4CX250B, since that data sheet only has the the one tube, so its in a file marked 4CX250B.pdf.

So in short, only search on the *full* part number.

If anyone is a aware of a free search engine to put on web sites that is better than at at

http://www.perlfect.com/freescripts/search/

let me know. I know you can add a Google bar easily, but that only searches things if Google has already indexed them, which may not be for several weeks after adding content to a web site.

BTW, with the limitation of partial word searches (which can be got around, but introduces some problems, I highly reccomend

http://www.perlfect.com/freescripts/search/

It is free, but they will provide commercial technical support, or install it for you if need be. But it is not that hard to install yourself. However, you will need a fair amount of privileges on the system to set it up, so it might not be suitable if you just pay for cheap web hosting. (You need Perl 5.004 or higher, the DB_File 1.72 database, and to be able to run cgi scripts). But with a bit of effort, and zero cost, you can get quite a nice local search engine.

David Kirkby G8WRB