Re: [Amps] Current draw at 110 volts for SB-200 and SB-1000

To: AMPS@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Current draw at 110 volts for SB-200 and SB-1000
From: "Martin J. Morgenbesser" <W7MJM@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 17:40:54 -0800
Wow. The wealth of information one can gather from this list astounds me. Thanks again to everyone for their comments... and comments on comments!

Based on what I've read on this thread, it seems to me that if I do go with an SB-200 or SB-1000, running on "a buck and a dime" is certainly possible but far from ideal. If I go the Heath route, I would definitely put in 220 service, sooner rather than later.

As for choosing the ideal amp if one were limited to 110/115/120 volt service; aside from finding an old Henry Radio amp with a choke filter power supply, the AL-811 and AL-811H amps seem to be the most likely candidates, being rated for 8 amps maximum current draw at 110/115/120 volts (and only 4 amps at 220/230/240 volts).

Any thoughts on going the AL-811 or AL-811H route?

73 de W7MJM