Re: [Amps] Liquid Cooling Systems

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Liquid Cooling Systems
From: "David Smith" <vk3hz@wia.org.au>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:44:17 +1100
I'm certainly very interested in this discussion as I'm contemplating a
 water-cooled 23cm amp project shortly.

> ... In both applications you are trying to increase the heat  transfer
> into and out of a liquid. You don't really  need a
> USE-IN-TRANSMITTING-TUBES-ONLY  label on a  product to use it in a liquid
> cooled tube..

 One thing that you do need to consider in cooling a tube amp is the
 conductivity of the coolant.  It's not a concern in a race car, but when
 there's 4kV+ at the cooler, it certainly IS a concern in an amp.  This
rules
 out any use of salt.  Does anyone know if Glycol or "Water Wetter" makes
the
 solution conductive at all?

 There's also corrosion problems to consider.  As I understand, Glycol-based
 coolants also contain corrosion inhibitors.  Would corrosion be an issue in
 an amp using just distilled water?

 Regards,
Dave
VK3HZ